Sé Catedral at Old Goa

Cathedral-at-Old-GoaThe construction of the church began in 1562 and was completed in 1612, during the rule of King Dom Sebastião which lasted for 21 years from the year 1557. The attars remained to be completed till 1652. The Royal Treasury paid the proceeds through the crowns property and were essentially made for the Dominicans. The building is Portuguese-Gothic in style. It has an Tuscan type exterior and Corinthian interior. The church which is one of the largest, has one of the larges bells called ‘Golden Bell’, amongst the five bells present there. Amongst the two towers on either side the facade one of them collapsed in 1776. The main alter which holds paintings of life Catherine of Alexandria, is dedicated to her.

Leave a Comment